Thursday, Oct. 3

Coleman named Maxwell Award finalist

IU junior running back Tevin Coleman was named one of 20 finalists for the Maxwell Award, Maxwell Football Club President Ron Jaworski announced ?Monday.

The award is given to the best player in college ?football.

Coleman’s 162.5 rushing yards per game is the most in the nation. He’s also first in rushing yards per carry with 8.02 and yards from scrimmage per game with 180.

His 180 all-purpose yards per game are second-most in the country.

Against Michigan on Saturday, Coleman extended his 100-yard game streak ?to 10.

He gave credit to running back Coach Deland McCullough for his development this season.

“Coach McCullough is a great coach,” Coleman said. “That’s why I’m able to get 100 yards every game. He’s been pushing us hard, giving us motivation, giving us confidence.”

Coleman has helped the IU running game establish itself this season. Now, with a passing game that’s produced just 35 yards in two games, the Hoosiers are looking for new ways to produce yards on the ground.

They went to a Wildcat formation several times Saturday for creative ways to keep the run game consistent. Coleman may be expected to throw the ball in the Wildcat formation.

“We just started working on that the past couple weeks,” he said. “I’m comfortable doing that. It’s going to be a good package for us. We’ll just keep working ?on it.”

Through eight games, Coleman has 1,300 total rushing yards and 14 ?touchdowns.

The Tinley Park, Ill., native is on track to break Vaughn Dunbar’s single-season school record of 1,805 rushing yards.

The Maxwell Award winner will be announced Dec. 11 as part of the Home Depot College Football Awards Show on ESPN.

Three finalists will be selected Nov. 24, when a second round of voting will take place.

The 2014 Maxwell Award presentation will be at the Tropicana Resort & Casino in Atlantic City, N.J.