Thursday, Oct. 3

IU falls to Michigan 34-10

Saturday, IU had an opportunity to beat Michigan at The Big House for the first time since 1967.

On a 22-of-29, 220-yard performance from Michigan quarterback Devin Gardner, the Wolverines handled the Hoosiers 34-10.

IU freshman quarterback Zander Diamont was making the second start of his career. He was just 5-of-8 passing for 24 yards.

IU didn’t get on the board until the third quarter, on a Griffin Oakes field goal. That was the longest drive of the game for IU up until that point. They went 51 yards on 11 plays.

Those 51 yards matched the Hoosiers’ first half offensive total.

D’Angelo Roberts then scored IU’s lone touchdown on a run from three yards out. At that point, just 3:09 remained in the game.

The IU offense struggled all game, compiling just 191 total yards.

Its best chance to score in the first half came when freshman safety Chase Dutra intercepted Gardner and brought it back to the Michigan 12-yard line.

But IU couldn’t do anything with the short field. Kicker Griffin Oakes missed a 22-yard field goal off the upright.

IU junior running back Tevin Coleman had 108 yards rushing on 27 carries. His streak of rushing for 100 or more yards in a game extended to 10.

It was Coleman’s first game this season without a touchdown.

Diamont was IU’s second-leading rusher with 49 yards on seven carries.

The Michigan offense totaled 404 yards, with a balanced attack of 184 yards rushing and 220 passing. Running back Drake Johnson had 122 yards and two touchdowns.

Grace Palmieri