Thursday, Oct. 3

IU men's basketball to play at Pearl Harbor in 2016

Freshman guard James Blackmon Jr. reaches for the ball in IU’s first exhibition game against Northwood on Thursday at Assembly Hall.

IU men’s basketball will play Kansas on Nov. 11, 2016 in Honolulu, Hawaii as part of the 2016 Armed Forces Classic. The game will take place less than a month before the 75th anniversary of the attack on Pearl Harbor.

The Armed Forces Classic is an annual event that begin in 2012 and features Division I college basketball games at military bases.

IU and Kansas will play at the Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam as half of the day’s double-header matchup with Arizona and Michigan State playing in the second game.

The games will be televised on ESPN as part of the network’s America’s Heroes initiative honoring the men and women who have served in the U.S. military.

“This is one of the premier events in college basketball and everyone in our program is thrilled and honored to be a part of this,” IU Coach Tom Crean said in a release. “Knowing that we’ll play on Veterans Day prior to the 75th Anniversary of the Attack on Pearl Harbor adds even greater significance.”

The Veterans Day matchup will be the first game between IU and Kansas since 1995. 

The Jayhawks lead the all-time series with the Hoosiers 7-6.

“We thought playing in the Armed Forces Classic would be a terrific experience for our players, especially to commemorate such an important time in our country,” Kansas Coach Bill Self said in a release. “We’re excited to be a part of it and having the chance to play a tradition-rich program like Indiana, one of the true blue bloods of the college game.”

Sam Beishuizen