Thursday, Oct. 3

IU trails Michigan 17-0 at half

After one half of play, Michigan leads IU 17-0.

IU freshman quarterback Zander Diamont got his second start of the season. He and the entire IU offense struggled in the first half, compiling just 51 total yards. Diamont was 3-of-6 passing for 13 yards.

The Hoosiers received the ball to open the game. They got one first down on a Diamont run before having to punt.

The Wolverines moved the ball quickly on their first offensive drive. A 34-yard pass from Michigan quarterback Devin Gardner to Amara Darboh put Michigan at the IU 23-yard line.

It resulted in a 35-yard field goal to give Michigan a 3-0 lead.

On the first play of IU’s second drive, Tevin Coleman fumbled the ball and Michigan recovered, taking over at the IU 27.

That was Coleman’s second fumble of the game on just four carries.

The turnover led to a Michigan touchdown. Gardner shoveled a pass to tight end Keith Heitzman to go up 10-0 with 5:22 remaining in the first quarter.

After one quarter, IU had just 28 yards of total offense to Michigan’s 95. Gardner was 7-of-8 passing for 72 yards.

Neither team scored again until the 7:18 mark of the second quarter. It was a Gardner pass to Darboh for a touchdown.

On IU’s ensuing drive, Nate Boudreau replaced Diamont at quarterback.

Coleman, who had been on the sidelines since turning the ball over in the first quarter, took another direct snap on the first play of that drive. He carried it for 17 yards, but the play ended in a sack of Boudreau, and yet another IU punt.

The Hoosiers had their best chance to score when freshman Chase Dutra intercepted Gardner late in the second quarter. He ran it back to the Michigan 12-yard line.

But freshman kicker Griffin Oakes missed the 22-yard field goal attempt.

Gardner finished the half 14-of-18 passing for 136 yards, two touchdowns and an interception.

Grace Palmieri