Wednesday, Oct. 2

Coleman to declare for the NFL draft

spFootball

From IDS reports

IU junior running back Tevin Coleman will not return for his senior season, and instead announced he has declared for the 2015 NFL Draft.

“It has been a dream of mine to play professionally, and I am prepared to take the next step in making that dream into a reality,” Coleman said.

Coleman just completed one of the best seasons from any player in IU program history in 2014. The unanimous consensus All-American rushed for 2,036 yards, averaging 169.7 yards per game. He was one of three finalists for the Doak Campbell Award, annually given to the nation’s top running back.

For his career, Coleman finishes ranked first in yards per carry (7.1), fourth in ?rushing touchdowns (28), fifth in all-purpose yards (4,292), fifth in rushing yards (3,219) and is tied for sixth in total touchdowns (29).

IU found areplacement for Coleman in UAB sophomore Jordan Howard, who announced Jan. 1 he is transferring to IU.

Howard visited IU earlier this month and chose IU over Vanderbilt. He rushed for 1,587 yards last season, ranking No. 9 in the country.

As for Coleman, he is projected the No. 3 available running back by ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper Jr. He joins former Hoosier and current Denver Broncos rookie Cody Latimer as the second Hoosier to leave for the NFL draft early in as many years.

In an official statement, Coleman thanked his family, coaches, teammates and fans for their support. One achievements he is most proud of was that he finished his fall 2014 semester with a grade point average above 3.0.

“Indiana University is an extraordinary place and I will always cherish my experience I had here,” Coleman said. “I look forward to earning my degree from this amazing institution in the very near future. I am and always will be proud to be a Hoosier.”