Wednesday, Sept. 25

Comic, storybook ?illustrator featured at WonderLab on Friday

Attendees can delve into the world of comic book illustration Friday when Joshua Allen, a local freelancing artist, is featured in December’s First Friday Evening at WonderLab Museum of Science, Health and Technology.

“First Friday Evening Science of Art: Comic and Storybook Illustration” will take place from 5 to 8:30 p.m. Friday.

The event is recommended for all ages and is included with museum admission.

Half-price general museum admission, which will be $3.50, will take place that evening during the event.

There will be free parking available in the Fourth Street Parking Garage after 6 p.m.

Allen has experience with more than 300 publications in his portfolio, according to a WonderLab news release.

Though most of his work focuses on children’s book illustrations and book covers, he also has experience with some print and web comics, tattoo flash, posters and album cover art.

The artist will also be available to talk to event ?attendees.

Then there will be a casual workshop where people can “make their own stories through narrative games, learn tips on how to draw characters and make original comics using an online template,” according to the release.

Friday’s event is sponsored by F. Rudolf Turner with additional grant support from Ivy Tech Community College-Bloomington, the Community Foundation of Bloomington and Monroe County, the Indiana Arts Commission and the National Endowment for the Arts, according to the release.

The event is part of a monthly program series that matches WonderLab’s mission to “highlight the connections between science and art.”

First Friday evenings are a city-wide series of events that take place during the first week of every month, according to Visit ?Bloomington.

This specific event will coincide with the upcoming Gallery Walk that will take place downtown Friday evening.

Participating galleries in that specific event are Blueline Creative Co-op and Gallery, By Hand Gallery, Bloomington Convention Center, gallery406, Gallery Group, Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center, Pictura Gallery, The Venue Fine Art and Gifts and Royale Hair Parlor Gallery, according to ? downtownbloomington.com .

All galleries, including WonderLab, are within walking distance of each other.