Wednesday, Sept. 25

Vocal performance major receives award, grant

Darian Clonts, an Atlanta native and a master’s degree candidate in vocal performance, won $3,000 from the Pierians Foundation.

Pierians Foundation uses its National Project Award to support the career aspirations of emerging artists.

The national arts organization is a nonprofit organization that is committed to “delivering quality artistic programs to communities throughout the United States and to raising funds to support community-based artistic projects, art appreciation programs, art education programs in schools and emerging artists in the performing, visual and literary arts,” according to a press release from the organization.

To be nominated for the National Project Award, an up-and-coming artist has to demonstrate “unusual and exceptional artistic talent and potential,” according to the release.

This year’s recipient received his award due to his talent and experience as a tenor.

Clonts studied at the Cobb County Center for ?Excellence in the Performing Arts for high school, where he was a vocal major and studied under tenor Bradley ?Howard.

During his time at the school, he received the music department’s 2008 Presidential Scholarship to Morehouse College, where he eventually became a vocal performance major.

He traveled the United States and Canada, according to the release, singing tenor in the Morehouse College Glee Club and the group’s quartet.

At Morehouse, he studied voice with renowned vocal performers Uzee Brown Jr. and David Morrow.

Starting in 2010, Clonts performed four seasons as a member of the Atlanta ?Singers.

The Atlanta Singers is a professional vocal ensemble that contains “some of the region’s finest soloists,” according to the release.

The group focuses on the art of small-ensemble choral performance with shows around the country.

“It was an honor to recognize the artistic gift of our own, local talent, Darian Clonts,” Janet Payne, president of the Atlanta Chapter of the Pierians Inc., said in the release.

Clonts came to IU in 2013 to work toward his master’s degree at the Jacobs School of Music.

He performed for the school in the Jacobs School opera H.M.S. Pinafore as part of the chours.

Clonts also performed in the chorus of “Porgy and Bess” at Princeton University this past year.

He was also a member of the Atlanta Opera Chorus during the 2013-14 season.

He performed in all three of the season’s productions: “La Traviata,” “Carmen” and “The Italian Girl in Algiers.”

“It fills our heart with joy to bestow our 2014 National Artistic Award to a young man as dedicated to excellence as Darian,” Mollie W. Neal, president of the Pierians Foundation, said in the release.

“He strives for the best in his artistic ability, and that is what the Pierians Foundation Inc. rewards.”