Wednesday, Sept. 25

Singing Hoosiers perform annual concert

The IU Singing Hoosiers will perform its annual Chimes of Christmas holiday spectacular this weekend. Chimes of Christmas will have performances at 2 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the IU Auditorium.

In addition to the Singing Hoosiers, there will be special guest appearances from IU African American Choral Ensemble, IU Vocal Jazz Ensemble I, IUnison, Sylvia McNair, Jeff Nelsen and IU Horn Choir, Syncopation and Santa Claus.

“First and foremost, Chimes is going to be fun,” Singing Hoosiers Director Stephen Zegree said. “It is also fast-paced, family-friendly and filled with energy, excitement, enthusiasm and pure ?entertainment.”

Zegree is the fourth director in Singing Hoosiers’ history and a professor in the Jacobs School of Music.

The Singing Hoosiers started performing in Chimes of Christmas in 2012, but the spectacular has been an IU tradition since the 1950s.

“From very traditional holiday music, to jazz, to pop, to Broadway, to Top 40, to gospel, there truly is something for everyone,” Zegree said.

The Singing Hoosiers perform several concerts annually on the road and on IU’s campus, including its annual spring concert in March. The group also performs at Big Ten athletic events.

Senior music education major Kendall Renaud said she joined Singing Hoosiers in January 2013 and that the experience has made her grow as a musician and brought out a side of her musically she has never seen before.

“Being a Singing Hoosier means being a part of something bigger than yourself,” she said. “It is a huge family that shows nothing but love, support and acceptance. It is the one place where I have never once felt self-conscious of anything.”

Darian White, a junior majoring in nonprofit management, said he joined Singing Hoosiers during the fall semester of his freshman year.

He said he thought he would have to leave behind his show choir past in high school, but Singing Hoosiers has allowed him to continue to do what he loves.

“For people who have never been to Chimes, they need to check it out, as there is not a holiday concert quite like this one anywhere in our area,” Zegree said.

Tickets are available for both performances, with ticket prices ranging from $17 to $22 for the general public and $12 to $17 for IU students and children.