Wednesday, Sept. 25

New exhibit to feature IU visiting professors

The different stages of performance will be the focus of the Grunwald Gallery’s new exhibit.

The exhibit, opening Friday, Jan. 16, is entitled “Implied Action: Performance through Object” and will feature four visiting assistant professors from the Henry Radford Hope School of Fine Arts at IU, according to a press release from Grunwald.

The exhibit will consist of art made of either found items or made objects that show the history, presence or potential of performance, according to the release.

The artists will include Carissa Carman for textiles, Mike Calway-Fagen for sculpture, Carrier Mae Smith in fundamentals and Keith Allyn Spencer, also in fundamentals, according to the release. All artists teach at IU’s studio art department.

Carman, currently a visiting assistant professor in textiles at IU, earned her MFA in fibers from Concordia University in Montreal. While studying at Concordia, she was a research assistant for SubTela at the Hexagram Institute, according to the release.

Studio SubTela focuses on developing intelligent cloth structures for “the creation of artistic, performative and functional textiles,” according to its website.

Calway-Fagen is based in Bloomington, as a curator, visual artist and writer. He received his MFA from the University of California in San Diego, according to the release. He will contribute sculptures to the exhibit.

In addition to the Grunwald exhibit, Calway-Fagen has several solo shows coming up, which include shows at Soo Visual Arts Center in Minneapolis, and Ditch Projects in Portland, Ore.

Smith, who is one of two in fundamentals for the show, received her MFA in sculpture at the University of Delaware. Her work takes a look at disregarded histories and utilitarian forms, according to the release.

She has just completed a residency at Recycled Artist in Residence (RAIR) in Pennsylvania, according to the ?release.

RAIR is a waste recycling facility in Philadelphia that focuses using art and design to create awareness about sustainability issues, according to its website. Smith spent six weeks at RAIR and built a body of work for her exhibition “Robinsonaden” at the Philadelphia Sculpture Gym gallery, which was featured June 2014.

Spencer, the second in fundamentals for the show, also resides in Bloomington.

He will soon also have a solo exhibition at Dragon Express in Bloomington.

The exhibit is curated by Grunwald’s Public Relations Coordinator Marla Roddy.