Wednesday, Sept. 25

Several Jacobs alumni nominated for Grammy Awards

The 57th Grammy Awards will feature several IU alumni and faculty.

Several graduates and faculty members from the Jacobs School of Music were nominated for Grammy awards, according to a press release by the music school.

IU alumnus and double bass player Edgar Meyer was nominated for two awards.

He is nominated for Best Contemporary Instrumental Album for his recording with mandolinist Christ Thile, “Bass & Mandolin.”

Meyer is also nominated for the Best Engineered Album, Non-Classical, according to the Jacobs School of Music release.

In Best Contemporary Instrumental Album, Meyer is up against fellow IU alumnus Booker T. Jones.

Jones is up for his contribution to Mindi Abair’s “Wild Heart” release, where he played the organ.

Jacobs School Jazz Studies Department alumni also took several nomination slots.

Trumpeter Chris Botti is up for Best Vocal Jazz Album for “Map to the Treasure: Reimagining Laura Nyro” by Billy Childs and various artists, according to the press release.

Several Jacobs Jazz nominees are on multiple Best Large Jazz Ensemble Album recordings.

Nominated for Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media are Jerry Hey on horn arrangements and Andrew Hey for the engineerng and mixing of “Get On Up: The James Brown Story,” according to the ?release.

Recording arts alumnus David Miles Huber is nominated for the Best Surround Sound Album award for his engineering and producing of “Chamberland: The Berlin Remixes.”

Opera tenor Lawrence Brownlee is nominated for the Best Classical Solo Vocal Album category for his “Virtuoso Rossini Arias,” while pianist Cory Smythe is nominated for Best Chamber Music/Small Ensemble Performance for “In 27 Pieces: The Hilary Hahn Encores,” according to the release.

Two Jacobs alumni are competing against each other for Best Opera Recording category.

Tenor Aaron Sheehan is up for “Charpentier: La Descente D’Orphée Aux Enfers” and baritone Franz Grundheber is nominated for “Schönberg: Moses Und Aron.”

The 57th Grammy Awards will be presented live by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences 8 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 8, broadcast on CBS.