Tuesday, Sept. 24

Euphonium player Steven Mead to visit music school

At 4 p.m. Friday, euphonium player Steven Mead will be at the Jacobs School of Music for a guest master class in Recital Hall.

Known as one of the most successful professional euphonium soloists in the world today, Mead performs more than 75 concerts per year with some of the leading orchestras, wind bands and brass bands in the world, according the music ?school website.

In recent years he has played solo concerts with symphony orchestras, including Stuttgart Philharmonic Orchestra of Germany and Trondheim Symphony Orchestra of Norway.

He is the most recorded euphonium artist in the world and is featured as a soloist or guest soloist on 65 CDs, including five volumes of the “World of the Euphonium” series, three volumes of the “Euphonium Magic” series of multitrack recording and five CDs with the British Tuba Quartet, which he formed in 1991.

In 2002, he formed his own recording company, Bocchino Music, and now produces and distributes all his own recordings. Several of these CDs have won national and international awards, according to the ?release.

In recent years Mead has been involved in new creative projects as a soloist with leading chamber groups ?in Europe.

These include the Spanish Brass quintet, with whom he recorded the album “Brass and Wines,” which includes two important original works by leading Spanish composers Trombonisti Italiana, with whom he recorded the albums “4Valves4Slides” and “Colours of the World;” Sound Inn Brass, where they recorded two albums with a professional 12-piece symphonic brass ensemble based in Upper Austria; and Classic Quintet, with whom he has produced two albums and performed in more than 20 concerts with this woodwind quintet, based in Bolzano, Italy.

He was one of the very first euphonium teachers in higher education in the United Kingdom, having first been invited to teach euphonium at the Royal Academy of Music by the then-Head of Brass, Harold Nash, a position he held for five years.

He is currently Artistic Director of the Jeju International Wind Ensemble Festival, held annually on Jeju Island, South Korea.