Tuesday, Sept. 24

IU Cinema to present sci-fi film series

Ray Bradbury will be the focus of a special four-day film series at IU Cinema beginning March 24.

The series, titled “Ray Bradbury: From Science to the Supernatural,” is intended as an exploration and celebration of his works on screen. The series, which includes lectures and panel discussions, was programmed by the Center for Ray Bradbury Studies, part of the IU School of Liberal Arts at IU-Purdue University Indianapolis.

From March 24-28, the IU Cinema will present the following films: “Bradbury TV and Shorts Program” at 7 p.m. March 24, which will include a gathering of short subjects such as “Icarus Montgolfier Wright” and “The Twilight Zone”; “It Came From Outer Space” at 7 p.m. March 26; “A Sound of Different Drummers” at 6:30 p.m. March 27; “Fahrenheit 451” at 9:30 p.m. March 27; “Moby Dick” at 3 p.m. March 28; and “Something Wicked This Way Comes” at 6:30 p.m. March 28.

IU Cinema Director Jon Vickers has worked closely with Jonathan Eller, the Bradbury Center director, to develop the program for the Bradbury film series. Eller is also an IUPUI Chancellor’s Professor, the editor of Bradbury’s early collected stories and author of two Bradbury biographies.

“Every session has fascinating cultural connections,” Eller said in the release. “The Academy Award-nominated ‘Icarus Montgolfier Wright,’ a story of our quest to reach the moon, was screened in the Kennedy White House just as those dreams were beginning to move toward reality.”

Vickers has also worked closely with Phil Nichols, the Bradbury Center senior adviser, to put together the series. Nichols is also a well-known Bradbury media scholar on the Faculty of Arts at the University of Wolverhampton in the United Kingdom, according to the press release.

“These screenings offer the first curated overview of Bradbury’s legacy in film and television,” Nichols said in a press release. “Selecting the films for this event has been a challenge because of the range and diversity of Bradbury’s work.”

In addition to the screenings, discussion panels will take place March 27 and 28. There, Nichols will reveal some of the findings from his research among the papers in the Bradbury Center.

All events are free and public, but they are ticketed.