Tuesday, Sept. 24

Six filmmakers to visit IU this semester

The Jorgensen Guest Filmmaker Lecture Series will welcome six lecturers, including actress Glenn Close, to Bloomington this semester.

Close will be on campus April 27, when she’ll give a talk and be present for the screening of her thriller “Fatal Attraction” at the IU Cinema, according to a press release.

The 1987 movie is part of the “Mental Illness in American Film” series. Close is the founder of Bring Change 2 Mind, an organization that works to end the stigma and discrimination of mental ?illness.

The other lecturers this year will be director Beth B, filmmaker MM Serra, Australian director Peter Weir, director Guy Maddin and filmmaker Abderrahmane Sissako.

“We are honored once again to host such a lineup of prominent guests this spring,” IU Cinema Director Jon Vickers said in the release. “Each will share their work, anecdotes, inspiration and vision with our audiences.”

Weir has had six Oscar nominations for movies including “Dead Poets Society” and “Witness.” Nine of Weir’s films will be shown at the IU Cinema between Feb. 20 and March 4.

Sissako is a filmmaker from Mali. His film “Timbuktu” received an Oscar nomination in the best foreign language film category, according to the University.

“Having master filmmaker Peter Weir of Australia and Abderrahmane Sissako from Mali will add to the important list of world cinema directors who have visited IU Cinema,” Vickers said in the release. “And Beth B, MM Serra and Guy Maddin each will bring their unique artistic visions to our audiences.”

The visual language in Maddin’s films are reminiscent of the silent film era and art deco, according to the University. His movie “My Winnipeg,” as well as several of his short films, are set to be screened during Maddin’s visit on April 10.

“If you have never experienced a Guy Maddin film on screen, you do not want to miss this opportunity,” Vickers said in the release.

French filmmaker Jean-Pierre Jeunet was scheduled to speak next week, but Jeunet had to cancel his visit, ?according to the University.

“We were very excited to bring French filmmaker Jean-Pierre Jeunet in February, but due to an accelerated production schedule on a new project, he will not be able to attend,” Vickers said in the release. “Though his absence is unfortunate, all of the films in his retrospective will be screened.”

The lectures are free and open to the public, but tickets are required for the screenings. Each talk will begin at ?3 p.m. at the IU Cinema.

“It is pretty incredible and humbling for me to look back over the past four years to see that the Jorgensen Lecture Series has already brought more than 90 filmmakers to Indiana University, including Werner Herzog, Meryl Streep, Abbas Kiarostami, Christine Vachon, Albert Maysles, Ava DuVernay, Charles Burnett and Kevin Kline, to name a few,” Vickers said in the release.

Beth B

Feb. 6, 7 p.m.

IU Cinema

Beth B is a longtime member of the underground New York scene and the director of “Exposed,” a documentary that profiles eight young burlesque stars, according to the release. She is scheduled to be present for the screening of this unrated film. Her film and lecture contains mature content and graphic nudity. Discretion is advised.

MM Serra

Feb. 27, 6:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.

IU Cinema

Serra’s work covers the territory of sexuality and the darker side of the human psyche, according to the release. She will attend screenings of “The Short, Radical Films of MM Serra” at 9:30 p.m. and “The Explicit Celluloid Body,” a 6:30 p.m. screening of short films from The Film-Makers Cooperative. The films and lecture contain mature content and graphic nudity. Discretion is advised.

Peter Weir

March 2 - 4, times vary

IU Cinema

This Australian director earned six Oscar nominations for films such as “Dead Poets Society” and “Witness.” IU Cinema is set to screen nine of his films between Feb. 20 and March 4, according to the release. Weir is scheduled to attend screenings of “Master and Commander: The Far Side of The World” at 7 p.m. March 2, “Picnic at Hanging Rock” at 7 p.m. March 3 and “Gallipoli” at 4 p.m. March 4.

Guy Maddin

April 10, 6:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.

IU Cinema

Maddin employs a visual language from the past that is reminiscent of the aesthetic characteristics of the art deco and the silent film era, according to the release. The night before his talk, Maddin is slated to attend screenings of “My Winnipeg” at 6:30 p.m. and his short films at 9:30 p.m.

Abderrahmane Sissako

April 17, 6:30 p.m.

IU Cinema

Sissako received an Oscar nomination in the best foreign language film category for his work “Timbuktu.” He and Kessen Tall, his co-writer and executive producer on the film, will be on campus April 13 to 19 for a series of events, according to the release. The night before Sissako’s Jorgensen Lecture, he and Tall will attend a 6:30 p.m. screening of “Timbuktu.” A Q&A session is slated to follow, according to the release. Additionally, Sissako is scheduled to attend the screening of “Bamako” at 6:30 p.m. April 17 to be followed by a discussion on politics and development.