Tuesday, Sept. 24

Concert Orchestra to perform at Musical Arts Center

The Concert Orchestra will feature violinist Yu Wang for its concert at 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Musical Arts Center.

Repertoire includes “Night on Bald Mountain,” composed by Russian composers Petrovich Mussorgsky and Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov; “Symphony No. 2 in C Major, Op. 61,” composed by German composer Robert Schumann; and “Violin Concerto, Op. 15,” composed by English composer Benjamin Britten and featuring Yu Wang as the violin soloist.

Wang was born in Chongqing, China, and came from a musical family, according to the Jacobs School of Music. She officially started studying the violin at age 3 with ?her father.

She worked with Mingen Zhou and Yang Song while she attended the middle school of the Shanghai Conservatory of Music, according to the event listing on the music school website.

Yu won first place in the Competition of Eastern Youth Artists in China ?in 2005.

She entered the Central Conservatory of Music, where she received her Bachelor of Music degree, with the highest honors under the tutelage of Yaoji Lin and ?Liang Chai.

Yu has participated in master classes with artists Pinchas Zukerman, Patinka Kopec, Kun Hu, Nicolas Chumachenco and ?Midori Goto.

Previous summer engagements include participation in Ehingen Summer Music Festival and Heifetz International Music ?Institute.

As an active soloist, chamber and orchestra player, Yu has performed in concerts throughout China.

She appeared as a principal second violin in Shanghai Youth Symphony Orchestra and China Youth Symphony ?Orchestra, according to the ?music school.

After coming to the United States to study with Grigory Kalinovsky, Yu earned her master’s degree from Manhattan School of Music, according to the music school.

Wang is currently pursuing a Performer Diploma at the Jacobs School ?of Music.

She is also listed as the winner of the music school’s recent Concerto Competition.

Additionally, David Effron, professor of music in the Orchestral Conducting Department at the Jacobs School of Music, is scheduled to conduct ?the concert.

His 50-year career has included appearances with major symphonies and opera companies around the globe, according to the music school.

He has conducted 105 operas and most of the standard symphonic works, according to the music school.

For 18 years, he was on the conducting staff of the New York City Opera, where he conducted performances not only in New York but also with the City Opera residencies in Los Angeles and ?Washington, D.C.

Effron taught at the Curtis Institute of Music for 21 years and was head of the orchestral program at the Eastman School ?of Music.

Effron was the conductor of the Grammy Award-winning recording of Copland’s “Lincoln Portrait” narrated by William ?Warfield.

His discography also includes a Pantheon recording with soprano Benita Valente that won the German Record Critics’ Award.

Effron has been a conductor and professor in the music school since 1998.