Tuesday, Sept. 24

Guitar Ensemble to perform variety of repertoire for concert

Eli Schille-Hudson, IU sophomore and member of the Guitar Ensemble at the Jacobs School of Music, was at a loss for words when trying to describe the atmosphere for the group’s upcoming ?concert.

“I think if the audience has never heard us before then they will be a combination of impressed and confused,” Schille-Hudson said.

Schille-Hudson will play alongside fellow Guitar Ensemble members for their fourth concert of the year at ?8 p.m. today in Auer Hall.

Repertoire for the event will cover a wide variety of styles, from baroque to contemporary pieces. Schille-Hudson said the contemporary music might confuse audience members because it sounds so different than the classical music audiences are used to hearing.

Songs for the concert include: “Acerca del cielo, el aire y la sonrisa” by Leo Brouwer; “Concerto in A Minor, BWV 1065” by Johann Sebastian Bach;“From Cuatro estaciones porteñas” by Ástor Piazzolla; and “Electric Counterpoint” by Steve Reich.

Daniel Duarte, director of the Guitar Ensemble, said he feels every performance should have a variety of music, not just for the audience but for the ensemble ?members, too.

“In addition to the interesting repertoire for the concert, I’m also preparing the students to be in touch with everything they’re going to find in the real world when they’re out of school,” ?Duarte said.

Once ensemble members get past the process of learning how to play the music, Duarte said he encourages them to focus less on each individual note and more on the overall picture of the piece during a performance.

Zac Landers, IU junior and ensemble member, said he is able to do just that for many of the pieces, including the first piece, “Acerca del cielo, el aire y la sonrisa.”

“The second movement of the Brouwer has a lot of echo motifs,” Landers said. “I typically think about a mountain and essentially the acoustics of if you would yell on a mountain, it would bounce off, and you would hear it echo.”

After the ensemble performs, “Concerto in A Minor, BWV 1065,” Schille-Hudson said he looks forward to performing their tango piece, “From Cuatro estaciones porteñas.”

“It’s kind of interesting because everyone knows Vivaldi’s ‘Four Seasons,’” Schille-Hudson said. “The composer of these two Tangos we’re playing also wrote a set of his own ‘Four Seasons,’ and we’re playing two of those. ”

The last piece of the concert, “Electric Counterpoint,” is also a contemporary piece and will feature some of the ensemble members playing the electric guitar and bass guitar in addition to the classical guitars that will be played throughout the concert.

“It’s a mix of jazz elements, classical elements and gamelan music, so it’s very interesting,” Duarte said.

Duarte said the ensemble comprises 12 members ranging from freshman undergraduates to music students working toward their ?doctorates.

He said he is excited for the concert tonight, and he feels it will be an engaging experience. Schille-Hudson agrees.

“That’s one thing about the atmosphere, it’s not something that you can check out of,” Schille-Hudson said.