Tuesday, Sept. 24

?Local artist exhibit featured at The Venue

Mark Blaney, a local artist, has had his work featured all over the world.

Mark Blaney, an award-winning local artist, will be featured in a reception Friday to celebrate the final week of his exhibit’s run at the Venue, Fine Arts and Gifts.

The event starts at 6 p.m. and refreshments will be available.

Originally scheduled to end March 19, the exhibit was extended through April 2. Featured work includes new drawings, watercolors, small sculptures and a mobile.

Blaney is a local painter and sculptor. He has had his work shown locally in Bloomington, as well as in Arkansas, New Mexico and “parts in between,” according to a Venue press release. His works are in private and public collections around the world.

Described as a colorist, according to the release, Blaney is also noted to respect line and form as well. The artist takes inspiration from Paul Gauguin and Edgar Degas. His paintings feature nature, and often “portray an American Southern narrative,” according to the release.

Blaney said painting and sculpture help him see close details of the world that surrounds him, according to his website.

“The movement and interactions among people, plants, animals and weather are reason enough to make symbols,” Blaney said on his website. “Working in two- and three-dimensional media helps me hold onto thoughts for awhile and to share them.”

The following week, Blaney will take part in another Venue event. “How I Paint,” a Blaney artist talk, will occur at 5:30 p.m. March 31.

Blaney is scheduled to talk about his artistic inspirations along with “how he translates his inspirations to the material plane in all of the various mediums in which he works,” according to the release.