Tuesday, Sept. 24

?‘Memphis’ coming to IU Auditorium

“Memphis” is making its Bloomington debut ?8 p.m. April 15 at IU Auditorium. It will stay on campus for two performances.

The second performance will take place at ?8 p.m. April 16.

The Broadway musical “bursts off the stage with explosive dancing, irresistible songs and a thrilling tale of fame and forbidden love,” according to an auditorium press release.

Winner of four 2010 Tony Awards, including best musical, “Memphis” features a Tony-winning original score with music by Bon Jovi, founding member David Bryan, direction by Tony nominee Christopher Ashley and choreography by Sergio Trujillo.

Inspired by actual events, “Memphis” takes the audience deep into the underbelly of Memphis, Tenn. They see everything from seedy nightclubs to radio stations and recording studios, according to the release.

“Memphis is full of soulful music, an incredible love story and outstanding performances,” Doug Booher, IU Auditorium director, said in the release. “Be prepared to dance in your seat. This infectious show, based on true events in rock ‘n’ roll history, will transport audiences right back to 1950s Memphis, ?Tennessee.”

“Memphis” shows audiences the effects of an affair between disc jockey Huey Calhoun, “a local boy with a passion for R&B music,” and Felicia Farrell, “an up-and-coming black singer,” according to the release.

As their careers grow, personal ambition and the pressures of a controversial love facing social disapproval taint Calhoun and Farrell’s relationship, according to the press ?release.

“Memphis’” auditorium performance is sponsored by Bunger & Robertson, Attorneys at Law; Hilliard Lyons; IU Division of Residential Programs and Services; IU Office of First Year Experience Programs and Lamar Outdoor Advertising.