Tuesday, Sept. 24

Pilobolus Dance Theater coming to IU Auditorium

The only dance company that has ever fit 26 people into a small car will be heading to the IU Auditorium this spring.

Pilobolus Dance Theater is coming to IU April 14.

Pilobolus is known to be “quirky” and “wildly creative,” according to an IU Auditorium press release.

Named after a fungus that “propels its spores with extraordinary speed, accuracy and strength,” the Pilobolus dance company was founded by a group of Dartmouth College students in 1971, according to the release.

Today, Pilobolus Dance Theater is a vehicle for more than 40 years worth of Pilobolus’ “most inventive and groundbreaking choreographic work,” according to the release. The company tours around the United States performing, teaching and creating new works in the Pilobolus Lab’s International Collaborators Project.

Pilobolus has toured 115 choreographic works in more than 64 countries around the world.

In 2011, Pilobolus broke a Guinness World Record for fitting 26 people into a Mini Cooper. In 2012, the company was nominated for a Grammy Award.

Aside from their performance, members of the Pilobolus company will also be featured in educational activities with students from the IU Department of Theatre, Drama and Contemporary Dance, the IU Ballet Department and the IU African American Dance Ensemble.

“Pilobolus’ quirky and passionate performances speak to a wide array of audiences, and with its out-of-this-world creative dance compositions, Pilobolus brings with it a unique and amazing evening of entertainment,” Doug Booher, IU Auditorium director, said in the release.