Tuesday, Sept. 24

Philharmonic Orchestra to perform tomorrow at the MAC

IU Philharmonic Orchestra

Bloomington residents and IU Jacobs School of Music students have the opportunity to be part of the Philharmonic Orchestra’s spring concert Wednesday. The event is comprised of works ranging from compositions from late 19th century to 2014.

The Philharmonic Orchestra will perform under Maestro Paul Nadler at 8 p.m. Wednesday in the Musical Arts Center. The concert will also feature soloist Sujin Lim on the violin.

The concert will commence with a Doctor of Music dissertation piece entitled “Interstellar Arias” composed by Steven Snethkamp. Following will be “Don Juan, Op. 20” written by German composer Richard Strauss.

The concert will end with the music stylings of Finnish composer Jean Sibelius’ work “Violin Concerto in D Minor, Op. 47.” This piece will feature Lim, an IU student and violinist in the Jacobs School of Music.

Since he started conducting in 1989, Nadler has led the Metropolitan Opera Company in more than 60 performances. He is known as an exciting and highly respected symphonic and operatic conductor, according to the Jacobs School of Music press release.

He is the conductor emeritus of the Southwest Florida Symphony Orchestra, which he has headed for 16 years. In addition to being the principal guest conductor of the Filarmonica de Stat Moldova Iasi of Romania, he has conducted opera performances and led symphony orchestras throughout the United States and Canada, Europe, Asia, and the Middle East, according to the music school.

This season, Nadler returns to the Metropolitan Opera for productions of “Otello and Don Carlo,” to Montréal for a gala concert with l’Orchestre Métropolitain, to Beijing for additional concerts with the National Centre for the Performing Arts Orchestra and to Naples, Fla., for “Tosca,” the first jointly staged opera production of Opera Naples with the Naples Philharmonic.

Nadler has recently conducted concerts with the Bucharest Philharmonic featuring Robert Schumann’s “Symphony No. 3”  and the premiere of the piano concerto “Lebenskraft” by the Romanian composer Livia Teodorescu Ciocanea.

Other recent engagements include Charles Gounod’s “Roméo et Juliette” at the Metropolitan Opera and “Faust” with Opera Naples, as well as an opening for the 2011-12 season of Opéra Montréal with Mozart’s “Le Nozze di Figaro.

A season highlight of his was a gala concert with the Orchestra of the National Centre for the Performing Arts in Beijing, according to the music school.