Tuesday, Sept. 24

Wind Ensemble to perform tonight

The Wind Ensemble will grace the Auer Hall stage with a performance conducted by Stephen W. Pratt at 8 p.m. today.

The concert will also feature Jeff Nelsen playing ?the horn.

The event will open with “Orb and Sceptre,” composed by William Walton and arranged by ?Paul Noble.

Then, hornist Nelsen will be featured in James Beckel’s “The Glass Bead Game.”

Scott McAllister’s “Gone” will be performed next followed by “Prelude from the 49th Parallel,” composed by Ralph Vaughan Williams.

The concert will close with “Wild Nights!” by Frank Ticheli and then “Dance of the Jesters,” composed by Peter Tchaikovsky and arranged by ?Ray Cramer.

For more than 20 years, Nelsen has practiced classical and contemporary music and has been a musician and a mentor.

He is best known as the hornist of the Canadian Brass, with whom he toured and recorded for eight years, according to the Jacobs School of Music website.

As professor of horn at the Jacobs School of Music, Nelsen teaches horn and chamber music and trains people in what he calls “Fearless Performance,” a subject upon which he recently gave a TEDx Talk, according to the music school.

Nelsen has performed with dozens of orchestras in New York, Chicago, Boston, San Francisco and ?Houston.

He has held full-time positions in the Montreal, Vancouver and Winnipeg symphony orchestras.

Pratt is a professor of music at the Jacobs School of Music, where he teaches graduate courses in wind conducting and wind band history.

Currently in his 30th year on the Jacobs School of Music faculty, he serves as chairman of the Department of Bands/Wind Conducting and conducts the Wind Ensemble.

Recent appearances have included guest conducting the United States Army’s West Point Chamber Winds, the United States Army Field Band and all-state orchestras or bands in South Carolina, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, New Jersey, Indiana, Illinois and Nevada, as well as at the International School in Beijing.

An advocate for new music, as well as a specialist in standard works from the wind band repertoire, Pratt has received praise from many contemporary composers for his interpretive conducting of their compositions, according to the music school.

The Wind Ensemble performs four times this semester. Tonight’s event is the second to last concert of the semester.

On April 23, they will perform in the Jacobs School of Music’s SPRINGFEST alongside the school’s Symphonic Band and ?Concert Band.

Stephen W. Pratt, Eric M. Smedley and David C. Woodley will conduct the concert.