Wednesday, Oct. 2

Devin Davis and Hanner Mosquera-Perea dismissed from program

Junior Hanner Mosquera-Perea holds his head after being called for a foul in the second half of IU's game against Georgetown on Saturday at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

IU has dismissed senior forward Hanner Mosquera-Perea and sophomore forward Devin Davis from the program, the program announced Thursday evening.

The two forwards were dismissed for “not living up to their responsibilities to the program,” according to an IU release.

Davis was cited Monday evening for possession of marijuana in an on-campus residential hall. Mosquera-Perea was present but not charged, the program said.

It’s not the first time the two have made off-the-court news. Mosquera-Perea was arrested last February and charged with operating while intoxicated, while Davis was left hospitalized after being struck by a car driven by teammate Emmitt Holt in November. He missed the 2014-15 season but received a redshirt and was expected to play in the fall.

Mosquera-Perea averaged 3.5 points and 2.7 rebounds per game. A four-star prospect out of high school, he never materialized into the big man IU expected, even after starting 22 games last season.

Davis showed promise as a freshman before missing last season. He finishes his IU career with averages of 2.4 points and 2.6 rebounds in 29 games.

On the court, it leaves IU once again depleted in the frontcourt. Last season, IU was forced to play up to four guards at a time, with Mosquera-Perea and Holt the only true post players in the rotation.

The Hoosiers were expected to fix that issue with the return of Mosquera-Perea, Davis and Holt, along with the addition of highly rated recruits Thomas Bryant and Juwan Morgan.

Now, they’re right back where they started, though the dismissals do free up two scholarships for IU Coach Tom Crean. IU is largely considered in the running for five-star big man Thon Maker.