Wednesday, Oct. 2

Devin Davis cited for marijuana possession

By Holly Hays

IU men’s basketball sophomore Devin Davis was cited by the IU Police Department for possession of marijuana around 8 p.m. Monday.

Davis has been suspended from all team activities, effective immediately, according to a statement from the program released Tuesday afternoon.

Officers responded to reports of the odor of marijuana coming from an apartment in Hickory Hall, an on-campus residential facility and part of the Union Street Apartments, IUPD Lt. Craig Munroe said.

When officers arrived, they could smell the marijuana coming from a second floor window, Munroe said.

When they went to the suspected apartment, they found two males inside.

The resident gave permission for officers to search, at which time a small amount of raw marijuana was found in a backpack. It was subsequently determined the backpack belonged to Davis.

The sophomore forward was cited for possession of marijuana, less than 30 grams, a Class A misdemeanor, Munroe said.

While Munroe did not state the name of the other male in the apartment, who was not cited, the statement from the team identified junior Hanner Mosquera-Perea as being involved in the incident.

“We understand that junior Hanner Mosquera-Perea was present at the time of the incident but was not charged by IUPD. Mosquera-Perea’s role, if any, will also be reviewed as part of this matter,” according to the statement.

Davis missed every game in the 2014-2015 season after he was hit by a car driven by teammate Emmitt Holt in the early morning of Nov. 1, 2014. He sustained a serious head injury.