Wednesday, Oct. 2

Five Hoosiers named to preseason All-Big Ten teams

Senior offensive lineman Jason Spriggs celebrates a touchdown during IU's game against Indiana State on Aug. 30, 2014, at Memorial Stadium.

College football expert Phil Steele came out with his yearly preseason All-Conference lists this week, and five Hoosiers were a part of his All-Big Ten teams.

Junior offensive lineman Dan Feeney led the way for IU, making the All-Big Ten first team. Feeney was a 2014 All-Big Ten honorable mention and earned IU’s Hoosier Iron Award for outstanding weight room performance.

In 24 career starts, Feeney has allowed just one sack.

Soon-to-be four-year starter at left tackle Jason Spriggs was named to the second team. The senior has started in 34 of 35 potential games at left tackle for the Hoosiers.

He was a 2014 All-Big Ten honorable mention, allowing just two sacks in 689 snaps.

Joining him on the second team is UAB transfer Jordan Howard, who will be suiting up for IU for the first time this fall. He ran 1,587 yards and 13 touchdowns in 2014 for the Blazers.

Howard missed the majority of spring practice when he hyperextended his elbow in April.

In a class filled with Heisman candidates and NFL prospects, senior quarterback Nate Sudfeld found himself on the fourth team All-Big Ten list.

He is behind Michigan State’s Connor Cook, Ohio State’s JT Barrett and Penn State’s Christian Hackenberg.

Sudfeld is returning from a shoulder injury that ended his season in October.

In special teams, sophomore kicker Griffin Oakes made the fourth team. He made a name for himself last season with a 58-yard field goal against Maryland that set a school record and was the longest in the NCAA that season.

No defensive players were mentioned for IU.

Brody Miller