Tuesday, Sept. 24

Cardinal Stage Company's production of "Hairspray" to open this week

Part of the cast from Cardinal Stage's production of "Hairspray" perform during a dress rehearsal of the show.  "Hairspray" will open on Friday evening.

The topics of racial segregation and body acceptance come together to create a statement on the acceptance movement with the 2002 musical ?“Hairspray.”

Cardinal Stage Company’s production of “Hairspray” will begin its performance run Saturday and end next weekend. Performances will be at the Buskirk Chumley Theater, and the age recommendation is 10 old and older.

The play was originally based on the 1988 film “Hairspray.” The play was adapted and opened on Broadway in 2002 and won numerous awards, including eight Tony and three Drama Desk Awards.

According to the Cardinal Stage website, “Hairspray” takes place in 1962 Baltimore and centers on plus-sized teen Tracy Turnblad, who works to dance on the popular “Corny Collins Show,” win the affections of crush Link Larkin and integrate a television network.

“Hairspray” has a cast of actors from former Cardinal productions including Kaitlyn Louise Smith, Vincent Teninty, Scott Van Wye, Gerrianne Genga and Sam Cusack. The Cardinal production will feature a set design done by Mark Smith.

Randy White, artistic director of Cardinal Stage Company and the director of “Hairspray,” said he loves the music and message of the show.

“Adapted from the original 1988 John Waters movie of the same name, the musical is quite subversive in its racial and identity politics,” White said. “It’s not only a terrifically fun musical, it’s also a very ?smart script.”

Kaitlyn Louise Smith, an IU senior in the musical theater bachelor of fine arts program, will portray Tracy in the musical. She said playing Turnblad has been a dream role of hers since she first saw the musical in middle school.

“It’s so rewarding ?because she is truly a heroine and revolutionary figure,” Smith said. “It starts from a genuine want to share her love for dance, but passion eventually sparks her to fight for something larger and break the 1960s social barriers of racism and ?stereotypes.”

Smith said the musical has natural entertainment value, and her favorite song is “Without Love.”

“We really want people to have a blast,” White said. “It’s high energy and keeps you grinning the whole time. I think people who like sing-a-long music, terrific voices, great dancing, a killer band and gorgeous sets, costumes and wigs will love the piece.”