Saturday, Sept. 7

How Andre Iguodala became NBA Finals MVP

The Golden State Warriors were crowned Champions after beating the Cavaliers 105-97 in game six, and nobody deserved the MVP award more than Andre Iguodala.

Stephen Curry was given the MVP award during the regular season which was well-deserved, and it is evident he is the best player on the Warriors. However, there is no way Golden State would have won the Finals without Iguodala’s defensive and offensive presence. He showed his veteran experience when it came down to the last series.

Iguodala averaged 7.8 points per game in the playoffs before the Finals started. Once he matched up with Cleveland, he saw how close he was to his first championship ring and elevated his game accordingly. Iguodala more than doubled his points per game to 16.3 to go along with 5.8 rebounds and 4.0 assists in the Finals.

Steve Kerr’s decision to bench Andrew Bogut and start Iguodala in game four was the best coaching move made by either coach throughout the entire series. In Iguodala’s first game as a starter, he dropped 22 points and grabbed eight rebounds to help the Warriors win.

Once Iguodala was placed in the starting line-up, the Warriors did not lose again. Golden State won three straight to close out the series in six, so Iguodala’s presence on the court was an obvious factor as to why Golden State won the championship. Although he was great on the offensive side of the ball, Iguodala really shined for the Warriors with his defense.

He averaged 1.4 steals per game and became a pest to LeBron, especially in the last few minutes of the games. LeBron had an incredible series, averaging over 36 points per game, but shot under 40 percent from the field, and his poor shooting can be credited to Iguodala.

I am beyond happy for Iguodala getting his first ring and then be named the MVP, validating that everything he sacrificed in 2013 to get to this point was worth it. Iguodala joined the Warriors in 2013, and after starting for the Warriors his first two seasons, he accepted the role of coming off of the bench. He could have easily been a starter somewhere else, because he was once an All-Star player, but being the veteran player he is, Iguodala set his ego aside.

He has been in the league for 11 years, and though he is not retiring next year or even in the next three years, his window for his first championship was closing before he joined the Warriors. We’ve seen Hall of Fame players like Charles Barkley and Reggie Miller walk away from the NBA without a ring after having sensational careers. If you asked Reggie Miller if he would give up all the records he broke for a chance at a championship ring, my guess would be that he would take the ring over the records.

Records can be broken but nobody can ever take away a championship ring. After seeing the sacrifices Iguodala made in order to get his first one, I think it is fitting he ended up as the Finals MVP.