Wednesday, Oct. 2

IU men's basketball names new strength and conditioning coach

The IU men’s basketball team has named Lyonel Anderson to serve as the head strength and conditioning coach for the program, according to a press release.

Anderson replaces Chris Virtue, who oversaw the Hoosiers’ strength program on an interim basis after the team’s strength coach, Je’Ney Jackson, left the program in December for a similar position with the University of Kansas football team.

“We look for the best person to lead young men and get the most out of them on a daily basis,” IU Coach Tom Crean said in the release. “You have to be at the forefront of your profession, display passion for what you do and energize everyone you touch.”

IU conducted a national search and decided upon Anderson, who arrived in Bloomington after serving as the associate director of sports performance for the University of Houston football program. Anderson has ties to IU after working with the Hoosiers’ football program as an assistant strength and conditioning coach from 2012-13. He also spent two years at Rice University in a similar role.

“I’m extremely excited to work for a great coach like Tom Crean,” Anderson said in the release. “This is like my Super Bowl. Every day I will have the opportunity to work with elite level athletes and elite level young men. I can not thank Coach enough for allowing me to be a part of this program.”

Anderson began working with the team’s returning players on Monday for the start of summer workouts. IU’s incoming freshmen and graduate transfer Max Bielfeldt will arrive on campus in the next two weeks.

Andy Wittry