Tuesday, Sept. 24

First Boogie Woogie Festival comes to Bloomington

When Craig Brenner attended IU, he spent four years studying classical piano. Though he enjoyed playing the classic pieces by Chopin, Beethoven and Bach, it wasn’t until he attended the New Orleans Jazz Festival that he discovered his true musical calling: blues and boogie woogie.

“I really enjoy the rhythmic aspect,” Brenner said. “I like that you don’t have to stick to a written score. It’s more relaxing. You can have a lot of fun with it.”

In order to share this jazzy style with others, Brenner has organized Bloomington’s first ever Blues and Boogie Woogie Piano Festival.

The event will take place Aug. 9. Festivities will begin with free outdoor music from 2-3 p.m. outside of the Ivy Tech Waldron Arts Center Auditorium.

Beverages from Oliver Winery will be available for purchase.

The main concert will take place within the 
auditorium.

Performances from artists Marcia Ball, Bob Seeley, Carl Sonny Leyland and others will last from 3-7 p.m..

Brenner was inspired to create the festival after he was invited to play at a similar one in France last year.

“I saw that once you get it started, people realize that it’s a tremendous amount of fun,” he said. “I thought, ‘There’s no reason Bloomington shouldn’t have a similar event.’”

Brenner will play at the event along with two other Bloomington pianists. The bass player and the saxophone player are also local musicians.

Brenner said, out of all of the performances, he is especially excited for Bob Seeley’s show.

“He is widely considered to be one of the best boogie woogie players in the world, and he’s 86 years old,” Brenner said. “So we really want to showcase him.”

One of the best parts of this type of piano playing, according to Brenner, is the opportunity to dance along to the music.

Swing dancers Josh Davis and Amanda Guieb will be featured during the festival.

Attendees will also be encouraged to get up and move, with the opportunity to get a lesson from Davis.

After the concert, an after-hours performance will take place at the Malibu Grill on the square. There will be no cover.

Brenner hopes the event will not only be appeal to adults in the Bloomington community, but also the city’s younger residents.

The day after the festival, a separate concert will be held at Fairview Elementary School.

“We want to expose the young people of Bloomington to this type of music,” Brenner said. “We want them to know that you don’t have to stick to etudes and classical piano. It can be really fun.”