Tuesday, Oct. 1

Coleman named starter for Falcons

Former Hoosier running back Tevin Coleman will start in week one for the Atlanta Falcons, the team confirmed Tuesday.

The rookie running back has been in a position battle with current teammate Devonta Freeman from Florida State University, with both competing for the starting spot after former Falcons running back Steven Jackson was released in the 
offseason.

Now with Coleman, Freeman and Oregon State rookie Terron Ward in the backfield, Atlanta’s backfield has potential to compete well in the league, Coleman said.

“It’s going to be something special — me and Devonta,” Coleman said in an interview with ESPN.com. “When we get healthy and we get back, we’re going to be dangerous out there. I’m just going to be excited working out there and competing every day.”

Coleman has been slowed down this offseason by a hamstring injury, but he was still able to compete in two preseason games for the Falcons against the Miami Dolphins and Baltimore Ravens, where he gained 58 rushing yards on 12 carries, an average of 4.8 yards per carry.

“I took out of that game just to be patient,” Coleman said about his first game against the Dolphins, when he carried the ball four times for two yards. “Don’t try to rush things. I was out there getting too excited and missing a couple reads.”

The Falcons have also expressed interest in former Denver Bronco running back and Wisconsin alumnus Montee Ball.

In Coleman’s three-year career with IU, he combined for 3,219 yards on 452 carries, averaging 7.1 yards per carry and scoring 28 touchdowns.

He was drafted in the third round in 2015.