Tuesday, Oct. 1

ESPN 100 guard commits to Hoosiers

From IDS reports

Curtis Jones, a 6-foot-3 senior guard from Huntington Prep in West Virginia, verbally committed to IU Saturday morning.

“I am glad to announce that I have verbally committed to play basketball at Indiana University,” Jones said on Twitter.

He is the second player from the 2016 recruiting class to verbally commit to the Hoosiers, joining Crown Point, Indiana shooting guard Grant Gelon.

Jones and Huntington Prep teammate Miles Bridges, a five-star forward prospect, each took an 
official visit to Bloomington the weekend of Aug. 28-30.

On Tuesday, the high school senior narrowed his list of schools to California, Georgetown, IU and Oklahoma State.

Four days later, IU — a program with which Jones has numerous connections — won his commitment.

Freshman center Thomas Bryant is a former Huntington Prep teammate of Jones.

Sophomore guard Robert Johnson played the Amateur Athletic Union circuit with Boo Williams that helped Jones develop into a top-100 recruit.

He is ranked as the No. 83 prospect in his class, according to 247Sports’ Composite rankings.

In July, Jones told the Indiana Daily Student that he likes IU’s style of play. His relationship with Johnson was also an asset in the recruiting process.

“I really like Coach Tom Crean,” Jones said. “And Rob (Johnson), he’s told me about the program and how he lets the guards play and how much he makes you better and things like that. It helps a lot because you have the recruiters but they tell you what you want to hear and you have people like that that are going to tell you the truth.”