Tuesday, Oct. 1

FINAL: IU defeats Western Kentucky 38-35

IU opened the season 3-0 after defeating Western Kentucky 38-35 on Saturday. Despite allowing 484 passing yards, IU forced two interceptions from Western Kentucky quarterback Brandon Doughty. 

Senior quarterback Nate Sudfeld finished 20-for-27 with 355 yards passing and three touchdowns. Junior running back Jordan Howard ran for 203 yards.

IU began the game by quickly forcing Western Kentucky to punt. Before the Hoosier offense could even touch the ball, junior receiver Mitchell Paige returned the punt 91 yards for an IU touchdown.

Western Kentucky quickly answered back with a 6-play, 65-yard drive that concluded with a 9-yard touchdown from running back D'Andre Ferby to tie the game up 7-7. 

In the two following Hoosier offensive drives, IU has moved the ball past midfield without scoring. One of those drives ended with senior Nate Sudfeld fumbling the ball off of himself without being touched by a defender. 

The Hilltoppers gained their first lead with a 13-play drive that went 90 yards. Ferby ran it in for his second touchdown of the game to go up 14-7. 

IU regained some momentum in the second quarter when it stopped Western Kentucky on fourth and short at the goal line to regain the ball. The Hoosiers utilized that momentum to drive 99 yards on 13 plays. Sudfeld completed 4-of-4 passes on the drive for 50 yards. 

After that, 17 combined points were scored in four minutes. Western Kentucky scores quickly on two plays, then IU drove down field quickly but it only amounted to a field goal. 

Three plays into the next, Doughty hit receiver Taywan Taylor for a 76-yard touchdown to go up 28-17. 

IU then opened the half with 75-yard scoring drive that ended with a 36-yard touchdown grab by Paige. Western Kentucky then drove quickly down field, but freshman safety Jonathan Crawford picked off a Doughty pass at the 3-yard line. 

The Hoosiers then drove 97-yards downfield to take a 31-28 lead. Simmie Cobbs scored on a 23-yard touchdown pass. 

Western Kentucky then drove to the IU 20, but the Hilltopper field goal was blocked by senior defensive end Nick Mangieri.

After Western Kentucky scored again to make it 38-35 with 5:56 remaining, IU drove down to the 2-yard line and killed all 5:56 to win the game.