Tuesday, Sept. 24

Dennis James to return for Halloween special

Dennis James’ annual Halloween show, “Dennis James Hosts Halloween” at the IU Auditorium, combines a musical spectacle with a celebration of classic silent film.

This Halloween weekend, James will play his live music alongside the 1925 film “The Phantom of the Opera” at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 30 at the auditorium, according to a press release.

According to the release, James first played this accompaniment 40 years ago at IU. That show was credited with launching the musician’s career. James chose this pairing to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the IU Auditorium this year.

According to the release, James built notoriety worldwide by combining his musical talents with classic films to enhance the thrill of the usually silent movies. He uses a combination of instruments and electronic noises to heighten the film-going experience.

IU Auditorium Director Doug Booher said in the release the auditorium looks forward to the well-liked show.

“This event is a fun and unique experience that all audiences can enjoy,” Booher said in the release. “Bloomington locals will enjoy reliving Dennis’s debut auditorium performance as he revives his accompaniment to the fan-favorite film: ‘The Phantom of the Opera.’”

James will also have an educational talk with music students as part of the Jacobs School of Music’s Project Jumpstart, which is geared toward career development and networking for music students.

Audience members have the opportunity to win a costume contest hosted by B97 Radio. Any interested patrons can hit the stage for opportunities to win prizes, according to the release.

Tickets cost between $8 and $16 for students and $16 to $21 for non-students and community members.