Sunday, Sept. 8

COLUMN: Include others in your holiday fun

The holiday season is typically assumed to be filled with joy — and for good reason. Families travel thousands of miles to embrace one another, shares stories and celebrate life.

However, we must be aware that this season can be especially torturous for many of our neighbors, particularly those experiencing mental health issues. Misunderstanding can add insult to injury when we jump to conclusions during the holidays.

Suicide rates are often misleadingly touted as painting complete pictures of a population’s mental health status, but suicide’s presence during the winter season is not as prevalent as many are led to believe. National suicide rates are actually the lowest during the month of December, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Unfortunately, many of us overlook or minimize the presence of other cries for help from our friends and relatives. Depression and anxiety can become magnified during the holiday season for a variety of reasons, according to mayoclinic.org. Social anxiety and a negative self-image can cause many individuals to isolate themselves for fear of being seen.

On the other hand, depression can result in isolation of a different, yet equally painful, breed.

Seniors and frail elders can experience additional isolation as the holidays come around. Those in residential and long-term care might have limited access to transportation, requiring them to rely on their family members to come for visits. If loved ones and friends fail to show up, the loneliness can be devastating.

Another group that can experience issues and sadness during the holidays are LGBTQ individuals. Not all who come out are welcomed by their families, and the addition of extended family during the holidays can be especially challenging. For many closeted individuals, their queerness is an unbearable elephant in the room that is only made worse by negative social commentary relatives might make. As a result, some LGBTQ individuals are left with few people to turn to during the holidays. If you are fortunate to be a part of this small circle, be sure to express your love.

This holiday season, let’s make inclusion a top priority. Let’s make the effort to be there for a friend that might be experiencing mental health issues. Instead of highlighting negatives or forces that divide, let us remember the familial love that is at the core of this season.