Tuesday, Oct. 1

Darius Latham declares for NFL Draft

spIUfb

Junior defensive lineman Darius Latham is declaring for the NFL Draft, he announced Wednesday. 

This news follows Monday's announcement that junior running back Jordan Howard is also foregoing his senior season to enter the Draft.

Latham, once a prized 4-star prospect out of Indianapolis' North Central High School, compiled 33 tackles, four sacks and 10 tackles for loss in 11 games this season. He was named an All-Big Ten honorable mention. Latham made the first interception of his career Saturday in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl against Duke.

"Playing in the NFL has been a dream of mine, and I will put in the work and effort to make this dream come true,” Latham said in a statement. “Thank you to my parents and my family for their assistance during this process. Your prayers and support mean everything to me. You will always serve as my motivation, and without you I would not be in the position I am in right now.”

Latham was suspended for the season opener against Southern Illinois and the Oct. 3 matchup with Ohio State for unknown disciplinary reasons. 

During the summer, IU Coach Kevin Wilson raved about Latham's development and said he had one of the best summers of anyone on the team.

“I am especially thankful for the opportunity to have played and learned from Coach Wilson,” Latham said. “He and the coaching staff not only made me a better player, but were focused on me as a complete person. 

Latham selected IU despite offers from most of the top football programs in the country. 

“I chose IU over other colleges because it was home, and I believed in what we could build here,” he said. “We accomplished some good things and I will miss playing with my family, especially my D-line brothers. Indiana University is a special place and I am grateful to be a Hoosier for life. Go IU!" 

Brody Miller