Tuesday, Oct. 1

IU to play Duke in the Pinstripe Bowl

Senior quarterback Nate Sudfeld holds the Oaken Bucket and members of the football team celebrate after beating Purdue, 54-36 Saturday at Ross-Ade Stadium.

IU football will play Duke in the New Era Pinstripe Bowl on Dec. 26 in New York City. Kickoff is at 3 p.m. in Yankee Stadium.

This will be IU’s first appearance in a bowl game since 2007, when it lost 49-33 to Oklahoma State in the Insight Bowl. This is the 10th bowl appearance in IU history.

Duke is 7-5 this season, but ended the year by losing four of its final five games. It is 4-4 in ACC play.

“I’m happy and pleased for our players and excited for the opportunity to continue to improve our program” IU Coach Kevin Wilson said in a statement. “We are looking forward to playing an outstanding opponent in Duke. It will be a great trip for our kids and nice to play in front of our large alumni base in the New York City area.”

In five seasons, Wilson has taken the program from 1-11 in his first season to a bowl berth. The Hoosiers started the season 4-0 for the first time in 25 years before losing their next six games.

Then, IU won its final two games against Maryland and Purdue on the road to clinch bowl eligibility.

“We have tremendous respect for Coach Wilson and the entire Hoosier program,” Duke Coach David Cutcliffe said. “At Duke, we take great pride in representing the Atlantic Coast Conference, and doing so against a program of Indiana’s caliber will be a challenge which we will embrace.”

Duke is led by quarterback Thomas Sirk. Sirk passed for 2,462 yards, 15 touchdowns and six interceptions in addition to rushing for 648 yards and six touchdowns — the most on the team.

The Blue Devils also have Jim Thorpe award finalist Jeremy Cash, a safety with 18 tackles for loss.

“We are excited to bring Hoosier Nation to the Big Apple for the holidays as ‘Candy Stripes go Pinstripes’ on Dec. 26,” Athletic Director Fred Glass said. “Coach Wilson and I just told the team and they are very excited.”