Tuesday, Oct. 1

IU wins at Rutgers 79-72 in Big Ten opener

Redshirt senior Max Bielfeldt shoots a layup during the game agaisnt IPFW on Wednesday at Assembly Hall.

Senior forward Max Bielfeldt scored a career-high 20 points and added a career-high 14 rebounds as IU survived against Rutgers 79-72 in the Big Ten opener for both teams.

Rutgers (6-8, 0-1) took a 44-43 lead with 15:59 to play after a 3-pointer from freshman guard Corey Sanders. The Hoosiers (11-3, 1-0) responded with a 14-2 run over the next 4:53 to take a 57-46 lead and the control of the game. 

The Scarlet Knights came within six points with 3:44 to play, but were not able to close the margin any further. 

Senior guard Yogi Ferrell finished with a team-high 20 points for the Hoosiers, while Rutgers was paced by 20 points from senior guard Omari Grier and 17 points from freshman guard Corey Sanders.

IU and Rutgers were tied 34-34 at the half. The Hoosiers led by as much as 12 points with 7:15 remaining as Bielfeldt and junior forward Colin Hartman combined for 19 points in the first half. Hartman was starting because of an injury to sophomore guard James Blackmon Jr.

Rutgers, however, ended the first half on a 9-0 run to tie the game. IU's cause was plagued by five turnovers in the final 2:11 of the half.

The Hoosiers will stay on the road in the opening stretch of Big Ten play, as IU will travel to Nebraska on Saturday afternoon. 

Teddy Bailey