Tuesday, Oct. 1

Oakes named Big Ten Kicker of the Year

spIUfb

IU redshirt sophomore kicker Griffin Oakes has been named the Big Ten Kicker of the Year, the conference announced Monday evening, giving the kicker the Bakken-Anderson Kicker of the Year Award. 

Oakes set the school record for most field goals in a single season, with 22, and he leads the Big Ten in field goal percentage, with 88 percent, which is also ranked ninth nationally. 

The kicker is also tied with Ohio State running back Ezekiel Elliott for the conference lead in points per game, with 9.5, and he's scored 114 of IU's 434 points (26.3 percent) this season. 

The sophomore converted four field goals in one game for the first time in his career in 2015, accomplishing the feat twice against Michigan and Maryland. Oakes also totaled double-digit points six times this season, including 12 points on two field goals and six extra points. 

Oakes kicked his longest field goal of the season at Memorial Stadium in IU's double-overtime loss to Michigan when he hit a 51-yard field goal. 

Other than Oakes, five IU defensive and special teams players were given honorable mention for the 2015 season. 

Junior defensive lineman Darius Latham, senior defensive end Nick Mangieri, redshirt sophomore linebacker Marcus Oliver, senior bandit Zack Shaw and redshirt junior receiver Mitchell Paige — for returning punts — all received honorable mention for the Hoosiers. 

Taylor Lehman