Tuesday, Oct. 1

Hoosiers stay perfect at home in win against Illini

Sophomore foward Amanda Cahill shoots a layup during the game against Illinois on Wednesday at Assembly Hall. The Hoosiers won, 68-66.

Illinois sophomore guard Brooke Kissinger was given the ball with 5.7 seconds remaining. The Illini were trailing, 68-66, after IU junior guard Karlee McBride made a 3-pointer to give the Hoosiers their first lead since the first half.

Kissinger drove the ball to the basket against sophomore guard Tyra Buss, who stayed with Illinois’ 5-foot-7 guard the entire way. Buss caused Kissinger to hoist an off-balanced layup that skimmed the front of the rim and into the hands of McBride.

Assembly Hall’s buzzer sounded to signal IU’s 68-66 come-from-behind victory against Illinois on Wednesday night. The Hoosiers were able to retain a perfect 8-0 at home this season, improving their Big Ten record to 3-4.

“It just seemed like the seconds couldn’t get off the clock fast enough,” IU Coach Teri Moren said. “She was going down-hill, the only thing you can do is not foul and force a tough shot. That’s what happened. It was a lot of time, you’re sweating that one out.”

McBride earned her third consecutive start against Illinois, the only three career starts for the 5-foot-10 guard. After scoring a season-high 17 points on 5-of-5 shooting from 3-point range vs. No. 18 Michigan State, McBride went cold at Minnesota on Sunday — scoring just two points on 1-of-6 shooting from the floor.

She hit back-to-back 3-pointers in the first quarter before two fourth-quarter treys missed on the front rim. McBride was able to convert on her most important attempt from beyond the arc, however, as sophomore forward Amanda Cahill found McBride for an open 3-pointer that gave the Hoosiers a 67-66 lead with 1:16 to play.

“My teammates and my coaches always tell me to keep shooting,” McBride said. “I did miss the last two threes to get me down a little bit, but I was able to make it. That one was big.”

McBride’s 3-pointer was after a missed layup from Cahill, who corralled her own offensive rebound and found her teammate for the ultimate game-winning shot.

“I tried to go up with it and got blocked,” Cahill said. “It was kind of a loose ball and I came up with it. Karlee called for it and she was open, I threw it out to her and she stepped up big and made the shot. That’s really what won us the game down the stretch, that and some defensive stops.”

On a night when reigning Big Ten Player of the Week Tyra Buss was held to just 2-of-13 shooting for 11 points, others stepped up to help offensively. Cahill and McBride each scored a game-high 16 points to go along with Cahill’s seven rebounds.

Even sophomore guard Jess Walter, who had been struggling with her shot ever since a preseason concussion injury, pitched in eight points off the bench.

“Not gonna lie, it felt pretty good.” Walter said of hitting big shots. “My teammates have been really confident in me, telling me to keep shooting and finding me when I’m open. It felt good to make some today.”

The Hoosiers trailed, 36-35 at halftime as senior guard Kyley Simmons, the Big Ten’s sixth-best 3-point shooter, scored 11 first-half points on a trio of treys to pace the Illini.

Illinois held its largest lead, 62-53 after freshman forward Alex Wittinger converted a layup with 7:11 to play. IU was able to storm back due to relentless press defense and overall execution when Illinois had possession. The Hoosiers ended the game on a 15-6 run, as the Illini were held without a field goal for the final 3:17 of the game.

“Give our kids credit for battling back after being down,” Moren said. “Once we went to our press, that really got them on their heels. They sped up and took quicker shots than they would have liked. I think we got them a little rattled, it seemed like everything they shot tonight went in.”