Tuesday, Sept. 24

Indiana Arts Commission awards grants

The Indiana Arts Commission has approved a total of 197 grants for this year’s Bicentennial Legacy 
Projects.

The commission advocates for arts development across Indiana and manages the use of 
resources for arts.

According to IN.gov., the commission awarded grants to the Arts in the Parks program, which supports projects led by individual artists in collaboration with the Indiana Department of Natural Resources and projects led by local organizations or 
cultural program providers.

The Arts in the Parks projects will take place in parks and forests throughout Indiana, including Lake 
Monroe and Brown County State Park.

The projects include musical performances and workshops for painting, textiles, dancing and pottery. The program engages the public with the arts and Indiana’s state park and forest system, according to IN.gov.

Seven individual artists from Monroe County have been awarded grants in the folk arts, dance, music, literature and theater categories. The Individual Artist Program funds projects to help people with career 
development.

The projects include the commissioning of compositions, concerts, albums, books and a musical.

Thirty-five of the programs are part of the Indiana Masterpiece program, which highlights Indiana’s artistic and cultural history. Several organizations in Monroe County have been awarded grants, including Cardinal Stage Company, WTIU and Lotus Education & Arts Foundation.

Cardinal Stage was awarded $9,523 to commission and develop a script for a show about Indiana composer Hoagy Carmichael that will premiere in their 2016-2017 season.

WTIU was awarded $3,104 to create eight video stories about artists from Indiana as part of their program “The Weekly Special.” Lotus was awarded $4,099 to showcase the works of Indiana musician Lotus Dickey at the Lotus in the Park event.