Tuesday, Sept. 24

IU Cinema celebrates fifth birthday

From IDS reports

IU Cinema will celebrate five years of operation this month with a series of film titles often requested by its patrons, according to the cinema’s website.

The series, titled “Happy Birthday, IU Cinema!” will include screenings of “The Wizard of Oz” and the “Godfather” trilogy.

“The Wizard of Oz” will screen 7 p.m. Thursday and 10 a.m. Jan. 16 at the cinema.

That film is also part of the cinema’s CINEkids International Children’s Film Series.

“The Godfather” and “The Godfather: Part II” will screen back to back 5 p.m. Jan. 15 at the cinema.

The films will also screen 1 p.m. and 5 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 16, and will be followed by “The Godfather: Part III” at 9 p.m. that night.

The IU Cinema held its grand opening in January 2011 after installation of state-of-the-art digital projectors delayed its initially scheduled opening in fall 2010, according to a September 2010 press release from IU.

In its opening month, the cinema featured the work of director David Lean, who directed films including “Lawrence of Arabia,” “Bridge on the River Kwai” and “Dr. Zhivago,” and of director John Ford, who directed films including “Stagecoach,” “The Grapes of Wrath” and “The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.”

The series on Ford also featured a screening of “Directed by John Ford,” writer-actor-director Peter Bogdanovich’s 2006 update of his 1971 documentary of the same name.

Bogdanovich also appeared at the cinema for the event, becoming the first filmmaker in the Jorgensen Guest Filmmaker Lecture Series, according to a press release from IU Cinema.

Since then, the cinema has featured appearances from “roughly 200 filmmakers,” according to the release.

More information about past and upcoming events can be found at cinema.indiana.edu.