Tuesday, Sept. 24

IU Theatre to present "Macbeth"

From IDS Reports

Third-year MFA candidate David Kote will direct the Department of Theatre, Drama and Contemporary Dance’s production of William Shakespeare’s 
“Macbeth.”

The play is the classic story of a Scottish general named Macbeth.

Macbeth’s ambition leads him to betrayal and murder after three witches tell him he will become the king of Scotland.

“Here is a man who encounters the supernatural and uses that encounter to allow all of his deepest, darkest greed and ambition loose on the world,” Kote said in the IU Theatre press release.

“Fundamentally, he’s a person whose imagination is out of control. So, for me, any concept we bring to the play needs to start from there.”

Senior theater and drama major Ian Martin will play Macbeth and first-year MFA actor Abby Lee will play Lady Macbeth.

Second-year MFA actors Chris Handley and Jason Craig West will play Duncan and Malcolm 
respectively.

The production will feature an original score by second-year master’s student Kimberly Osberg, who is a composer in the Jacobs School of Music.

The landscapes created by set designer Bridget Dreher will emphasize what is going on in Macbeth’s mind, according to the 
release.

“For me the play hinges on this line: ‘Fair is foul, and foul is fair,’” Kote said in the release.

“In this world things aren’t what they seem. So we need to create a world where the ‘foul’ and the ‘fair’ can easily switch 
places.”

“Macbeth” will be at 7:30 p.m. Feb. 5, 6, 9–13 and at 2 p.m. Feb. 13 in the Wells-Metz Theatre.

Tickets are $25 for adults, $15 for students and $20 for seniors.