Tuesday, Oct. 1

IU to be physically tested against Rutgers

Junior guard Karlee McBride moves the ball up the court against Indiana State at a game in December. The Hoosiers defeated the Sycamores 53-52 at the Hulman Center.

IU has been tasked with physical, challenging opponents numerous times this season. The Hoosiers have faced six ranked opponents, defeating a program-record three. IU has played both Miami and West Virginia, two of the country’s most physically demanding teams.

On Wednesday night, IU Coach Teri Moren and her team will be presented with a new challenge. Rutgers will enter Assembly Hall with five upperclassmen starting in its lineup — featuring 6-foot-3 senior center Ariel Butts and 6-foot-4 senior center Rachel Hollivay.

“It’s a tremendous challenge,” Moren said. “They’re not just one of the best defensive teams in the Big Ten, but they’re probably one of the most physical and athletic. They’re so feisty on the ball and ferocious on the offensive glass. We have to be very sound offensively with making sure that we’re taking care of the basketball.”

Rutgers, at 12-8 (3-5), will try to hand IU its first loss in Bloomington. The Scarlet Knights are on a three-game losing streak against the Big Ten’s premier teams. Rutgers fell to No. 7 Ohio State, 67-58, on Sunday.

While Hollivay and Butts give the Scarlet Knights serious size, Rutgers relies on junior guard Tyler Scaife and 6-foot-1 senior wing Kahleah Copper to score the ball.

The backcourt duo accounts for more than 55 percent of Rutgers’ scoring — Scaife is 11th in the Big Ten in scoring, averaging 17.5 points per game for the Scarlet Knights.

“I don’t think you can slow any of them down. One of the things that we have to do is make sure that we don’t give her a lot of space,” Moren said concerning Scaife. “She has really improved her outside shot from a year ago. Copper and Scaith both have tremendous mid-range games.”

The Hoosiers said they hope they avoid a hangover after their first Big Ten road win in 18 games. IU upset No. 20 Northwestern, 91-84, in Evanston on Sunday. Sophomores Tyra Buss and Amanda Cahill combined for 41 points and 21 rebounds in the win — the Hoosiers had been 1-36 in Big Ten road games since 2011-12.

“Coach has been reminding us not to get too high on the highs and too lows on the lows,” sophomore guard Jess Walter said. “That’s a good milestone for us, but our end goal is not just get one win on the road. Our end goal is much higher than that.”

With Sunday’s win, IU sits in seventh place in the Big Ten at 4-4 in conference play. Last season, the Hoosiers won just five games in the Big Ten season. This year, Moren and IU have benefited with an undefeated 8-0 record at home. Rutgers will test that on Wednesday night depsite an 0-4 record in Big Ten road games.

“This game is huge for us,” Moren said. “You can have a hangover after a big win, we’ve cautioned our kids about that. The next game is the most important game. We haven’t got into standings, none of that. It’s more about protecting our home floor. That’s the goal we’re chasing — to stay undefeated at home.”

While Moren recognizes the amount of athleticism Rutgers has, she also hopes that the Hoosiers play with more aggression against the Scarlet Knights.

“We’re still not as near as athletic as they are,” Moren said. “They do have some flaws, and we’re going to try and find those tomorrow. Our ability to be aggressive and get to the free throw line is going to be important. I just want us to play with some toughness. They’re coming off a three-game losing streak, I would suspect that they have them fighting mad.”