Tuesday, Oct. 1

Kevin Wilson signs 6-year contract extension

Head coach Kevin Wilson watches from the sidelines as IU loses to Penn State, 13-7, on Saturday at Memorial Stadium.

IU Coach Kevin Wilson will remain the football coach a little 
longer.

IU Athletics announced a 6-year extension for Wilson that will go through 2021. Wilson will be paid $2.55 million per year for a total of $15.3 million over the 6-year 
extension. Wilson has been the football coach since 2010.

“This contract reflects our commitment to Kevin, to continuity and to Indiana University Football,” IU Director of Athletics Fred Glass said.

“Kevin has done a great job building our program into one that is competitive with the great teams of the Big Ten and the nation. We are confident that he will continue to lead us to sustained success on the field and in the classroom.”

This extension makes Wilson the seventh-highest paid football coach in the Big Ten.

Wilson went 1-11 in his first season with the Hoosiers. Since then, he has brought steady improvement to the program, resulting in a bowl berth this season. IU’s 2015 Pinstripe Bowl appearance was the program’s first bowl game in eight years.

He is also the first coach to win three consecutive Old Oaken Bucket games against Purdue since 1944-47.

“Thank you to President McRobbie, the Board of Trustees, Mr. Glass and the entire athletics administration for their support,” Wilson said. “Coupled with an already solid foundation, this ensures stability as we continue to build a winning program in the Big Ten East, one of the great 
divisions in college football.”

In five seasons under Wilson, IU has set 47 offensive records. In addition, quarterback Nate Sudfeld set career passing yardage and touchdown records at IU, running back Tevin Coleman ran for more than 2,000 yards and three players have been named first team 
All-Americans.

He is the first full-time IU football coach to earn an extension since Bill Mallory’s extension at the end of the 1993 season.

“The administration has shown a total commitment to our program development, continuity, staffing, recruiting and facilities, and has invested heavily in the development of and experience for our students,” Wilson said.

“We are excited for the opportunity and embrace the challenge ahead. My family and I love Indiana, and we are all proud 
Hoosiers.”