Tuesday, Sept. 24

Moving out? Read the fine print

By Alex Long

So you’ve decided to adult and move out on your own. Good for you! However, there are a few things you should know before signing a lease for your space and making it official. Stacee Williams, interim director of IU’s Student Legal Services, has some crucial tips and reminders for those looking to move off-campus.

Take a look around

Before you sign any contracts, make sure the space you’re interested in is exactly what you’re looking for. Inspect the area for damages and ask the landlord about the general welfare of the space in the case of major difficulties such as faulty circuiting, plumbing deficiencies, etc.

Look over the lease with SLS

Contract jargon can be hard to understand for the common person. Before signing, bring your leasing information to Student Legal Services at 703 E. Seventh St. where they will provide free consultations to those who have paid the student activities fee.

Read everything

Everything in the lease has information that you will be legally bound to upon signing, so it is important that you and other tenants read and understand what it entails.

Important statutes to note

The Security Deposit Statute defines how landlords can use a security deposit. Security deposits go into a general operating account held by the landlord until the end of tenancy. In Indiana, this statute states landlords can use deposits to cover damages done by the tenant during tenancy that are beyond ordinary wear and tear.

The 45 Day Rule states at the end of tenancy the landlord has 45 days to provide an accounting of deductions from the deposit. By sending your landlord your forwarding address in writing at the end of the tenancy, this initiates the 45 Day Rule. If you fail to provide this information, the landlord is not required to take any action and can hold the deposit and itemization of deductions until a forwarding address is provided.

Choose your roommates wisely

You can learn a lot about a person by living with them, all things good and bad. With that in mind, pick your roommates carefully. Joint and several liability, which is stated on almost every lease, states all tenants are responsible for upholding the agreements stated in the lease. This means every tenant is responsible for damages, rent, etc. Be mindful, if your roommates can’t pay the rent, it’s due either way unless otherwise communicated in the lease or with your landlord.

Sealing the deal

You’ve signed the contract, and you’re ready to move into your new place. Take pictures of the space before moving to ensure any existing damages won’t be your responsibility when the landlord inspects the area at the end of the lease.

Document all conversations you have about the lease

With any binding contract, it’s a good idea to document all conversations with the landlord and roommates concerning the lease. Having written proof of these conversations can serve as a protective measure against any complications.

Before you haul out

Send your forwarding address to your landlord in writing to initiate the 45 Day Rule. Go through a last inspection with your landlord to make sure the space is in a condition similar to when you moved in.