Tuesday, Sept. 24

Student hit with unexpected culture shock

Scene of Rio Guadalquivir

It happened. I couldn’t avoid it. There was no way of escaping it. Culture shock hit me hard.

After traveling for almost 24 hours, arriving in Spain can be perfectly described as a combination of utterly scared and clueless.

For the next four months I will be living in Seville, Spain, completely immersing myself into the culture of the city and slowly but surely mastering the Spanish language.

When I arrived in Seville early Monday morning, a bus dropped me off at a bus stop where I was greeted by the most adorable woman in the entire country of Spain, Mari Pas.

Mari Pas —a widow who runs a jewelry shop in town, has two daughters, five grandchildren and strongly admires Paul Newman – acts as my “señora” or host mother. She doesn’t speak one word of English and my Spanish needs a lot of work, to say the least.

We have already laughed and cried together and it’s only my second day. Although communication is very difficult, every day gets better and better.

I was told by my host mother that I don’t look like a foreigner, but when I open my mouth to speak I couldn’t stand out more even if I tried. “No sé” (I don’t know) is a common phrase at the moment, but the adjustment will end at some point.

The overall vibe of the city is very relaxed, yet very formal. Everyone on the streets, even young children going to school, is dressed their best. Siesta, a three hour time set for lunch and an afternoon nap, is practiced by all, closing down the entire city from 2 to 5 p.m.

The culture is embraced by every individual, and in every aspect of their lives.

I have planned to study abroad practically my entire life in anticipation of travelling the world and tasting the life of a jetsetter, even if it was only for a semester. Seville, I feel, will surpass my expectations due to the sophisticated lifestyle that I hope to adopt during my time here.

My goal of the semester can be broken down into three parts. One: become fluent in Spanish. The entirety of my study abroad program is taught and led in Spanish. To help succeed in my classes in addition to restoring my sanity, Spanish is essential.

Two: feel like Seville is my home. I chose this program specifically to push myself out of my comfort zone and escape the comfortable life of the United States.

Three: find a different perspective on life. I study journalism at IU and always strive to look at a situation from all points of view. Seville is a place like no other, and I am beyond excited to explore everything it has to offer.

Because I just arrived, I have spent most of my time in my homestay. Nevertheless, tapas, flamenco dancing and discotecas (discotheques) are in my near future. I can’t wait to share these cultural experiences with you all.