Tuesday, Oct. 1

2016 National Signing Day Preview

Following an overtime loss to Duke in the Pinstripe Bowl at Yankee Stadium, IU Coach Kevin Wilson and his assistants have followed the recruiting trail across the country.

Prior to Wednesday’s National Signing Day, Wilson’s staff has gained 16 commitments along with two junior college transfers in quarterback Richard Lagow and defensive back Jayme Thompson — both players have signed their National Letters of Intent and enrolled at IU.

On Wednesday, Wilson’s staff will hope to see the signed letters of their 16 committed players, as well as those from uncommitted players. Here’s a look at IU’s committed players in the Class of 2016.

Quarterbacks

After the graduation of IU’s all-time passing leader, quarterback Nate Sudfeld, the Hoosiers secured a pair of quarterback commitments in the 2016 class. Richard Lagow, who spent time with both Connecticut and Oklahoma State, is expected to compete with rising junior Zander Diamont for the starting quarterback position. Lagow has two years of eligibility remaining after playing for Cisco Community College in Texas. The pro-style quarterback has already begun classes in Bloomington.

The Hoosiers also gained a commitment from Cincinnati-native Peyton Ramsey at the quarterback position. A 3-star rated player, he committed to Wilson’s staff in late April 2015. Ramsey chose the Hoosiers over offers from high-majors Wake Forest, Illinois, Cincinnati and Boston College, among others. Ramsey is expected to sign with IU tomorrow.

Running Backs

With junior running back Jordan Howard declaring for the NFL Draft, the path is paved for rising junior Devine Redding, who also rushed for over 1,000 yards in 2015. The Hoosiers have one committed running back in Cole Gest, a 3-star back from Lakewood, Ohio. Gest, at just 5-foot-8, is expected to sign with IU over offers from four Mid-American Conference programs The Hoosiers are also hoping to gain a committment from Indianapolis running back Kiante Ellis on Wednesday. Ellis is currently uncommitted after decomitting from Michigan.

IU also gained a commitment from the fifth-best fullback in the country, Tyler Natee, according to 247Sports. Natee, who played running back at Trinity High School in Texas, committed to Wilson’s program Dec. 29 after considering Arkansas State, Baylor and Southern Methodist University. Natee can play a variety of positions in college at 5-11, 258 pounds, including tight end.

Receivers

In 2016, IU returns top receivers in rising junior Simmie Cobbs Jr as well as rising seniors Ricky Jones and Mitchell Paige. Regardless, the Hoosiers have a commitment from 6-foot-2 Florida receiver Philip Benker, who pledged to IU over ten Division I offers. With IU’s top-two tight ends, Anthony Corsaro and Michael Cooper, graduating, Wilson added a pair of tight ends to compete for playing time. 3-star JUCO transfer Ian Thomas is committed to sign with IU despite a late Texas A&M offer, while 2-star Georgia-native Shaun Bonner picked the Hoosiers over Georgia Southern.

Offensive Line

Offensive line coach Grey Frey and Wilson benefited from producing a pair of All-American offensive lineman this past season in Jason Spriggs and rising senior Dan Feeney. IU has four offensive lineman committed in the 2016 class, which features 4-star offensive tackle Coy Cronk, who was recruited in rival Purdue’s backyard at Central Catholic.

The Hoosiers also secured late commitments from Mackenzie Nworah, a 3-star offensive guard from Texas, and Grayson Stover, a 3-star OT from Florida. Nworah chose IU over Arizona State, Missouri and Oklahoma State, while Stover flipped from South Florida to IU last week. Stover is 6-foot-6, 300 pounds. Ryan Smith is the fourth offensive lineman to commit to the Hoosiers thus far — Smith is a 3-star player from Cincinnati that chose IU early in June of 2015.

Defensive Line

While the majority of IU’s commitments come on the offensive side of the ball, Wilson has been able to add a pair of two defensive linemen. Most recently, Mississippi native Jerome Johnson tweeted Tuesday that he had committed to play in Bloomington. Johnson is a 6-4, 280 pound tackle that ultimately picked IU over the SEC’s Mississippi State. Along with Johnson, unranked defensive end Allen Stallings is committed to the Hoosiers over just one FBS offer from Central Michigan. IU is also hoping to land two-star defensive end Jacoby Hill, among other defensive linemen. Defensive Backs

IU’s secondary will get even younger after the 2016 class, as Wilson and his staff have added three safeties and a cornerback so far this offseason. Jayme Thompson has already enrolled at IU after coming from Iowa Western Community College. Thompson, a 4-star player out of high school per Yahoo! Sports, redshirted his first season with Ohio State before transferring to junior college.

Thompson joins a pair of Florida 3-star safeties in Khalil Bryant and Brandon Drayton, who both committed to IU over countless Division 1 offers. Drayton reeled in 21 scholarships, choosing IU over Big Ten foes Iowa, Minnesota and Nebraska.

Ohio native A’Shone Riggins is the lone cornerback that Wilson has been able to procure thus far. Riggins is rated as a 3-star cornerback according to 247Sports and committed to IU over four Big Ten programs.

Athletes

The Hoosiers also have versatile three-star athlete Jonah Morris in its 2016 class. Morris is rated by www.247Sports.com as the nation’s 18th-best athlete. At 6-foot-4, 196 pounds, Morris is projected to play either receiver or linebacker in Bloomington.