Tuesday, Sept. 24

Breezeway Gallery features text message exhibition

From IDS reports

An exhibition of 941 pages of printed text-message correspondence is on display at the Breezeway 
Gallery.

The exhibition, titled “Mutual Projection,” is the work of multimedia artist Molly Soda and was curated by fine arts alumna Jenna Beasley, according to a press release. It’s on display through March 4.

The conversation featured in “Mutual Projection” took place over the course of a year between Soda and a long-distance acquaintance. The resulting correspondence covers a 13-foot wall from floor to ceiling.

Soda, who grew up in Bloomington and is now based in Detroit, will conclude the exhibition at 4 p.m. March 4 with a talk in Global and International Studies 1118.

The talk will be followed by a closing reception at the Breezeway Gallery, located between the IU Art Museum and the Henry Hope Radford School of Fine Arts. Soda will also be host to a DJ night at the Bishop that 
evening.

In addition to text message-based art, Soda has worked with video, photo and GIF art. Her work has been displayed 
internationally.

Soda was featured in a 2013 Rolling Stone article called “One of 50 Things Millennials Know That Gen-Xers Don’t,” and she was ranked 24th on Complex magazine’s Most Important Artists of the Year list.

She rose to prominence by publishing art via web media platforms like Tumblr and YouTube. She has also worked as a backup dancer for electropop musician Grimes.