Tuesday, Oct. 1

Hoosiers complete sweep of Huskers for crucial road win

Junior guard Alexis Gassion goes up to the basket to score a layup on Feb. 14 at Assembly Hall. Gassion scored 16 points against Minnesota to help the Hoosiers win 93-79.

In the majority of games this season, IU has won due to the speed of sophomore point guard Tyra Buss and the consistency of sophomore forward Amanda Cahill.

On Wednesday against Nebraska in a crucial game, it was the 3-point shot that sparked IU to a 79-68 road win in Lincoln. The Hoosiers (19-10, 11-6) completed a season sweep of the Huskers (17-11, 8-9) and remained in contention for one of four double-byes into the quarterfinals of the Big Ten tournament.

The Hoosiers knocked down a season-high 11 treys to topple their previous mark of ten 3-pointers against Rutgers earlier this year. Junior guard Karlee McBride converted four of those 11 for 12 points, but it was junior guard Alexis Gassion that lifted IU to victory.

Gassion exploded to tie her career-high of 22 points to go along with five rebounds and six assists. The 5-foot-11 wing player had scored 20 points once this season against IU-Purdue University Fort Wayne in late November. Against Nebraska, Gassion shot 7-of-14 from the field and converted a pair of 3-pointers. Four different Hoosiers finished in double-figures, as Buss also added 22 points while Cahill added 16 points.

“This was a gritty win for us,” IU Coach Teri Moren said. “Really pleased for that group in the locker room. We got scoring from a lot of different people in different ways. Overall, it was just a really good win for the Hoosiers.”

The Hoosiers trailed, 39-38 at the half after the Huskers benefited from 14 first-half points from sophomore guard Natalie Romeo. IU broke away from Nebraska in the third quarter, using a 22-12 frame to lead by nine points going into the fourth quarter.

“We were going to start out in a zone,” Moren said. “Halfway through, we went to just man-to-man. We didn’t do anything differently other than tell Lex that she was going to have to be really sound in the next 20 points.”

For the second time this season, junior center Jenn Anderson limited star Nebraska freshman forward Jessica Shephard. The 6-foot-4 Husker, who averages nearly 20 points and 8.7 rebounds per game, was held to just 16 points and 11 rebounds Wednesday.

“I thought Jenn Anderson was again very good defensively on a night where she didn’t score a lot,” Moren said. “Jessica Shephard is a very challenging post-player to guard and I thought Jenn did a good job of being in her space.

The Hoosiers had a chance to take sole possession of fourth place in the Big Ten before Minnesota (19-9, 11-6) pulled off an overtime upset of No. 5 Ohio State (13-5, 15-2). The Gophers and Hoosiers remain tied for fourth with one game remaining. Minnesota travels to No. 6 Maryland this weekend, while IU will try to finish an undefeated home season against eleventh-place Penn State (11-17, 6-11) Saturday.