Tuesday, Sept. 24

Jacobs groups to play Latin jazz concert

The Jacobs School of Music’s Latin Jazz Ensemble and the IU Jazz Afro-Cuban combo will perform at 8 p.m. Wednesday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater.

Percussionist Michael 
Spiro and trombonist, arranger and composer Wayne Wallace direct the jazz ensemble. Wallace leads the jazz combo, which features saxophones, trombones, trumpets, percussion, bass, guitar and piano.

Spiro is known for his work in the Latin music field, 
according to the Jacobs website. He is based in San Francisco, and performs and produces music throughout the West coast.

He visits, teaches and performs at universities across the world, and was a professor in the jazz department of University of California, Berkeley.

Wallace is a professor of practice in Jacobs’ jazz 
department.

He is one of the most respected artists in African-American Latin music in the world today, and his work combines traditional styles with contemporary music, according to the Jacobs 
website.

Wallace and Spiro were both nominated for a Grammy Award for best Latin jazz album this year for the Wayne Wallace Latin Jazz Quintet’s “Intercambio.”

The jazz ensemble is a 25-piece big band that performs original music, standards and Afro-Caribbean dance music.

Their music demonstrates how the different genres connect to create “quintessentially American music,” 
according to a Buskirk-Chumley press release.

Their music is “infused with an eclectic mixture of jazz, pop, and funk, transporting the listener through a variety of musical spectrums,” according to the release.

Admission is free and 
unticketed.