Tuesday, Oct. 1

Yogi Ferrell named a finalist for the Bob Cousy Award

Senior guard Kevin "Yogi" Ferrell drives down the court against Wisconsin on Tuesday at the Kohl Center. The Hoosiers lost 82-79 in overtime.

IU senior point guard Yogi Ferrell has been named a finalist for the 2016 Bob Cousy Point Guard of the Year Award, according to an IU Athletics release.

The honor, named after former Boston Celtic and Holy Cross guard Bob Cousy, is in its 13th year and recognizes the top point guards in Division I men’s basketball. A watch list of 20 guards was determined in October — that has now been narrowed down to 10.

Ferrell leads the Hoosiers in scoring with 17.8 points per game and assists with 5.7 per game. The senior recently moved into seventh place on IU’s all-time scorers list, and he became the all-time assists leader in a game against Illinois on 
Jan. 19.

He has helped lead IU to an 18-4 (8-1) record this season.

“The athletes on this list represent the most dedicated and skillful point guards in college basketball,” said John L. Doleva, President and CEO of the Basketball Hall of Fame, in the release. “They exhibit many of the characteristics that made Mr. Cousy such a successful player, and we are pleased to be recognizing them for their accomplishments.”

In March, just five finalists will remain. The 
winner of the Cousy Award will be honored at the ESPN College Basketball Awards Show in Los Angeles, California on April 8.

Other finalists include Tyler Ulis of Kentucky and Melo Trimble of Maryland. If Ferrell wins, he will be the first recipient from IU.