Monday, Sept. 30

IU loses in Big Ten Quarterfinals on buzzer beater against Michigan

Senior guard Yogi Ferrell and sophomore guard Robert Johnson walk of the court following the 72-69 loss to Michigan in the Big Ten Tournament on Friday at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.

The Hoosiers looked to be in control. But leading by three points with a minute left wasn't enough.

Michigan hit two 3-pointers in the last minute, the first to tie the game, the second to win it with nearly no time left on the clock. IU lost to Michigan 72-69 in the quarterfinals of the Big Ten Tournament as Michigan's NCAA Tournament hopes stayed alive.

For the top-seeded Hoosiers, it becomes a waiting game for how much their seed will be affected by the early departure from the conference tournament.

Junior forward Troy Williams led the Hoosiers with 16 points, including a transition layup with under three minutes to play. He was fouled, but missed the free throw. Senior guard Yogi Ferrell also missed a free throw with under two minutes to play. Ferrell scored 14 points along with eight assists.

Freshman center Thomas Bryant also scored 13 points, including nine in the second half.

Michigan guard Derrick Walton Jr. set a Big Ten Tournament record with 12 assists. He also scored his first points of the game with a pair of free throws with about a minute to play.

The NCAA selection show is scheduled for Sunday.

Michael Hughes